Flamingo nXt

easy rendering for Rhino in Windows

I've been now testing this with relatively large model and this has brought up few new issues. Some of these may already exist so in that case just please point the way...

1. With large model it takes some time to get even small test renderings, so when I spot a mistake I'd like to kill the render instantly rather than having to wait the active pass to finish. This is really a nuisance currently (300000 px image/1 pass appr. 5 mins/win7-64bit-8GB RAM-Intel® Core™ i7-820QM).

2. Light  manager could be more efficient. Now it some how sluggish and actually controlling the vast number of lights I have it just doesn't cut it.

- opting out the actual selecting from model and rather just affecting the light specs could be more efficient? Then if you liked the selecting would possible via right click or something.

- I have now now something between 50-120 lightsources on the model (yes, will divide it later for smaller parts...;) ). It appears that not all them are listed? Is there a max limit how many lightsources the listing shows?

- first column could be number index so it would easy see the total number of lights quickly. Better yet if I could add my own (notes etc.) and export as spreadsheet for other design documentation in similar fashion to Blockmanager

- clicking the column header doesn't arrange the lights accordingly (e.g. list by name, type, power or other property) and lights are listed in creation order.

3. Viewports (may fall to Rhino territory actually...)

- possibility to give precise numeric values for a viewport

- possibility to give aspect ratio

- possibility to lock viewport size or aspect ratio

- safeframe option to viewport to indicate actual rendering area (e.g. image size defined in render settings in mm/papersize)

- in general the viewport relation actual rendering process is not very intuitive. Perhaps something could be done to UI? 

- or possibility to create model views in similar manner to as layouts

- possibility to hide/restore floating viewports so it would usable in single monitor setup as well (e.g. as render window)

4. I'm not sure, but apparently visible textures for mapping are is under development? If not this is crucial as well. If your approach allows even some form of live viewport texture/lighting preview would be nice, even something in lines of Sketchup would be good start.

5. Possibility to limit the amount of resources Flamingo uses for rendering. Currently with the large model rendering cripples my computer so I can't work on other things, even on texts, while Flamingo renders. Ability to set a limit would be nice so I could reserve small part of assets to some other less data intensive work.

That's it for now.

Br,

Timo

Tags: functions, lights, mapping, rendering, viewport, wishlist

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Forgot one...

6. Lights.

Use of .ies-data is sometimes little overkill and not always available so for more accurate light control I hope for:

- ability to assign the strength of the lightsource as lumens alongside watts

- and/or a possibility to assign a lumen per watt ratio to fixture

Related to this it would be nice if let say with translucent/transparent materials it would be possibe to have even a crude calculation on how much of the light is "blocked" by the material as percentage. Essentially it would indicate LT-level  (light transmittance).

This becoming habitual...

Regarding lights and this relates to issue of light list not showing all the lightsources (can provide an example model if needed), having just rendered 10 h not realizing that significant part of the lighting was  actually off...

- some form of visua indicator (color/dash line/cross...) to light symbols that automaticly gives you the feedback wheather the light source is on or off. Currently as the list is unreliable at least in my case only way of checking this is via light properties.

The function of numeric view port is important. Now I'm doing the crop frame after end of rendering.

I actually did find some of this.

Safeframe - why it isn't visible in viewport properties but "hidden" into general options?

About killing the render - apparently if I close the window as rendering is stopping it should be instantenious but currently at least on my win7 computer it is very sluggish...

Br, Timo

What does safe frame do? After I turn it on, I'm still getting the full view port render.

It should indicate the border of the rendering area in the viewport if the aspect ratio of the viewport differs from the actual rendering size. At least that is what is did in 3D Max.

After some digging I found out that is actually a Rhino feature (so request is back on) and works only with native renderer.

Attached a screen capture of the Rhino safeframe for reference.

Br,

Timo

Attachments:

RSS

Members

© 2014   Created by Scott Davidson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service