Flamingo nXt

easy rendering for Rhino in Windows

So apparently I just do not really understand when/how to use batch rendering.  I had assumed it would allow me to build up a list of 'snapshots' that would all render at the same time, but it does not seem to suit what I need.

I have to render a few hundred extrusions, each with a different profile.  It doesnt take me long to get the model set up.  I have a certain view and position each piece must be in (all the same).  I assumed I could get one extrusion set where I wanted, assign the batch properties, delete the extrusion and start on the next one.  I would repeat this process each time until I had eight 'snapshots' ready to go in the batch renderer.  I would hit "render locally", and it would run through them.  When it was done, I was only left with 8 renders of the final extrusion (all the same).  I assume that this is due to me deleting all the other extrusions after I was done adding them to the batch.  Is there any other way for me to do this process, or is my batch malfunctioning?

Views: 585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jon -

We do not have a way to run a command or turn of a layer in the middle of a batch job.  That might be useful to add. We will look into that.

You do have a few options here.

1) You can create script that imports the profile, extrudes it, then renders it. Or create a file with a different extruion on a different layer.  Write a script that will change the layer, then render.  Are you familiar with Command Macros or RhinoScript? 

2) You could setup a render farm.  With a render farm you can create the shape then send the rendering out to the farm.  The farm will process the image.  You can submit all 8 renderings to the farm and the farm will process each job.

Unfortunately I am not that familiar with macros or Rhino script.  I will have the ability to try the farm set up soon though.  I have two IBM X366 (4x 3.6 ghz) servers that have not been unpacked from moving.  When sending out to the farm, will I run into the same problem of only being able to render the model that is active in the viewport, or does it export and save the model information to be rendered later by the farm?

Hopefully  will be able to hook up the servers this weekend.  I just need to tap a new breaker into my fuse panel to support the 5000 watts from the servers 

You would create a model with one of the objects in the view.  You then submit a job to the farm.  The farm will start to render.  You can then create the second model in the file.  Then you submit another job to the farm.  You move onto the third model. etc..

You will submit 8 separate jobs to the farm.  The farm will render them in order.  After a period of time, you will have all 8 jobs finished. Once the job is submitted to the farm any changes to the rhino model will not effect that rendering.

Can a model that has been sent to the farm be closed in rhino, or does the instance have to stay active on the initiating machine?
Yes.

RSS

Members

© 2019   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service