Flamingo nXt

easy rendering for Rhino in Windows

I'm experimenting with nXt and I have a couple of questions:

1.- What is the jpg compression level at which renderings are saved choosing this format?  Is there a way to control it?

2.- What is the difference between the "linked" and "linked and embedded" options for texture files.

For example, if I open a file with a map that was originally 'embedded' and the texture file where it points to has changed, will the texture be updated or will the embedded version prevail? 

Is the option "linked and embedded" meant to replace the embedded map if it has changed?

3.- On the same subject, I read that the material definitions are saved with the file rather than in an exterior library. So, if I want to make the model 'transportable', am I right to assume that applying the texture maps with the 'embeded' option would save the complete model including maps?

Thanks for your help

Juan

Views: 389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1.- What is the jpg compression level at which renderings are saved choosing this format?  Is there a way to control it?

The function which is called by Flamingo when saving JPEG images sets the quality level to 90% which means it allows about 10% degradation.  The following is an explanation of quality level which was extracted from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.drawing.imaging.enco...:

The Quality category specifies the level of compression for an image. When used to construct an EncoderParameter, the range of useful values for the quality category is from 0 to 100. The lower the number specified, the higher the compression and therefore the lower the quality of the image. Zero would give you the lowest quality image and 100 the highest.

2.- What is the difference between the "linked" and "linked and embedded" options for texture files.

Embedded = The bitmap is embedded or included in the material which means it never looks to the disk to update the image.  This means you can rename or delete the source image file and the material will still render the texture.

Linked = The bitmap file name is included in the material and the bitmap is loaded from the disk when needed.  Loaded bitmaps are cached so they don't load every time they are referenced when rendering so you may need to re-open a model to clear the cache after updating a linked bitmap.  If the linked file is renamed or deleted the bitmap reference will never be resolved.

Linked and Embedded = The bitmap is embedded in the material along with the name of the source image, when the image is referenced the linked file is used if it can be found, if it is not found then the embedded image is used.

3.- On the same subject, I read that the material definitions are saved with the file rather than in an exterior library. So, if I want to make the model 'transportable', am I right to assume that applying the texture maps with the 'embeded' option would save the complete model including maps?

You are correct, using the Embedded or Linked and Embedded options makes it safe to send a model to another computer and still resolve the texture, please see item 2 above.

Thank you John. That clarifies the issues very well.

On the 'Linked option' the safest way to clear the cache is, like you said, to reload the model. I find that the 'clear bitmap cache' utility found in the menu doesn't always work, although it does sometimes.  It would be nice to be able to rely on it. It is a hassle to reload large models. Even that doesn't work either unless I completely exit Rhino first.

My today's 'wish list item' : Add to the material properties dialog an option to save embedded bitmaps to disk.

When a material comes from somewhere else other that my own files, a balloon shows the cached location of the bitmap, something like:

C:\DOCUME~1\carreras\LOCALS~1\Temp\nXt-51c42fcf-3491-4aec-93b9-930bdc150c8b\6c47b594-be2f-4ebc-ab06-ddb90e6d62e2.png

Sure, I could go there, find the file, copy it and rename it to my convenience ... seems like a lot of work.

Also, in the Advanced/Textures tab, the balloon shows the original path and name of where it was created, i.e. c:\users\scottd.MCNEEL\Flaming nXT\Water\Clouds2.png which is only useful materials created locally, not useful to me if the material comes from elsewhere.

It would be nice to have a 'save as' option in the context menu. This would allow me to easily save the embedded bitmaps locally for materials created by someone else.

Regards,

Juan

I have added "Extract Embedded Bitmap..." menu options to the image button context (right click) menus in the simple material texture editor and in the textures tab of the advanced material editor.  This option allows you to extract the embedded bitmap to a specified location and file name and that is it, it does not point the existing image to the exported file or change the link style.  This option will be available in the next beta release.

Great, thanks for the fast response!!

Juan

RSS

Members

© 2014   Created by Scott Davidson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service