Flamingo nXt

easy rendering for Rhino in Windows

Hi everyone,

My question today is the file size and print quality. The best way to get the best quality image which could be reproduced in print.

Below are some test images, all of the same vessel, but the resolution is changed on each one stepping through the options on the 'Render' tab in nXt.

So the base settings are:

• Total pixels - 300000
  • Image size, pixels ~ 1000 x 750
  • Resolution
    • Display ~ 72 dpi
    • Printer, draft ~ 100 dpi
    • Printer, normal ~ 150 dpi
    • Printer, high quality ~ 300 dpi

I always save the tiff file first and then a jpg (I wish you could set up multiple saves so it saves he file formats you choose like tiff and a jpg. I have the jpg to make it easier to see). I do that way so that the jpg does not compress the image at all so making the TIFF smaller / worse. Unsure if it has an impact.

The images has only 25 passes, I was not looking for smooth shadows but a set of images to demonstrate my point. I have eight files for the 4 different resolution and looking at their size they are all the same, all the tiffs are 197KB and all the jpg are 62 KB. So based on the fact that there has been do file size increase do that mean the files are all the same?

If you look at them in Photoshop, the resolution does change between file, interestingly the 72 dpi is actual 96 dpi.

Arr, the document size is actually getting smaller 300 dpi is 8.47 x 6.35 cm, whereas the 72 dpi is 26.46 x 19.84cm. So there is a difference between the files.

Display ~ 72 dpi

Printer, draft ~ 100 dpi

Printer, normal ~ 150 dpi

Printer, high quality ~ 300 dpi

So how do I go about getting an A4 size print suitable for a magazine at 300 dpi? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

M

Views: 2157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is simply a bug.  Thank you for pointing it out.  It seems that the preset values are not working.  We will get that fixed.

In the mean time you can use the Page size and the Custom Pixels per Inch value.  There you can use 150, 300 or whatever DPI you need. 

I seldom go to 300 DPI.  If you are really having trouble with the size of the rendering, you can go to 200 DPI and sample up to 300 DPI in Photoshop with almost no loss of quality.

Thanks for looking into it. M

I always specify the exact image size in pixels.

You need to know the maximum intended print size and what the printer requires.

Magazines usually like 300 dpi.

A4 = 8.3 x 11.7 x 300 dpi = 2490 x 3510 image size in pixels.

Thank you, so you take the width in inches times it by the dpi required so if you want A5 (8.3 x 5.8 in) at 150 dpi the size will be 1245 x 870.

M

You got it.

RSS

Members

© 2019   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service