Flamingo nXt

easy rendering for Rhino in Windows

Hi,

I'm trying to create a diamond material to render a gem, but the result is not too much good (sure, is for my experience). May you help me?

Thanks,

Rafael

Views: 4080

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After all the suggestions, this is what i got up to. Trying to introduce a rainbow reflection map into the material but it doesnt give the desired result.  You can see the colour spectrum in it but its not scattered. I may need to take it into Photoshop to get that depth in the shadows. My main concern now is the table of the stone where it doesnt look right.

I tried the advance background setting but it only applies to the overall scene. I think we need to isolate to just the material. So we can get the different colours in it. 

hi Smith, 

Can you tell me the setting for the second diamond beside glass material you rendered?

Try the setting from

Permalink Reply by Scott Davidson on September 29, 2011 at 10:06am

Here is a quick rendering I did.  I used a few interesting tricks.

1) I recreated the diamond material.  High IOR, Fresnel, and dispersion.

2) Rendering using the pathtracing engine.

3) I used a different HDRI that had bright lights in it.

4) I went to the Advanced Environment and set the refracted bitmap to an HDRI with color.  The intensity of the HDRI I set to 1.3.

5) The adjust image has a saturation of 1.5 and burn of .5.

**hint** explore abstract studio HDMI images for lighting instead of realisitic landscape scene.

September 29, 2011 at 7:41am has a link to the stone and pendant in Rhino format.

I might save the image as a NXTImage and then open it in the NXT image editor.  There you can use the glare slider.

Also, in the Render Tab > Advanced, double check that your reflective and refractive bounces are set high.  A setting of 12 might be better. I am not sure if the rays are getting caught inside?

I bumped the relectivity and refractivity to 12 and this is the result, i like where this is going, but we also have to consider that gems are usally placed in shiny metal, which may become too reflective so we have to be careful of that

I don't have any really colourful HDRI to try for the refraction, at the moment unfourtunatly.

Normally it would be there, but it does nto see you have the latest build.

There is another additional trick.  The Advanced Background button at the btton of the panel you show.  You can go in there and tell NXT to use a different HDRI for reflection and refraction. You could experiment with using colorful HDRIs in those locations to see if you can fire up the diamond.  I would experiment with the refraction option.

For some reason i can't reply on your latest post, so hopefully you get this.

I just looked at your new render, you're right the table just doesn't look right, it looks way too clear or the light is bouncing off the wrong way.

what's the material are you using? could you post it? or if you want you can put your model up and i can try to render it on my end

This is the model. Thanks for looking into this. I am trying to figure out ways to create better renderings of Gems using Nxt. The plugin is awesome and it is intuitive. I am currently lecturing a group of jewellery design students in rhino and would like to use nxt as the rendering component. Thanks again.
Attachments:

I just had a Quick Look, your Crystal/Diamond Material is too clear, and it seems like your HDRI is a bit too Bright and it washes eveything out it needs more contrast, Im switching up the crystal/Diamond material and Changing the HDRI and i'll do a couple of renders and post them in an hour or so, (lunch time here)

I've only seen one or two almost perfect renders of diamonds ever, it is one of the hardest materials to render just because of the fire.

Gems on the otherhand once you get a base model, all you really need to do to switch them is change the colour a bit and the dispersion/translucency and it looks fine

Best of luck with your class.

If you need something specific I may have some HDRI and Materials that might help.

Here is a quick rendering I did.  I used a few interesting tricks.

1) I recreated the diamond material.  High IOR, Fresnel, and dispersion.

2) Rendering using the pathtracing engine.

3) I used a different HDRI that had bright lights in it.

4) I went to the Advanced Environment and set the refracted bitmap to an HDRI with color.  The intensity of the HDRI I set to 1.3.

5) The adjust image has a saturation of 1.5 and burn of .5.

There are other tricks.  I tried caustics and the stone went crazy.  I may try that again.

Attachments:

Wow thats nice, i like it better than my own to be honest, I was wondering, absolutly random idea.

Is it possible to add planes of transpant invisible materials witin the gem, one for each colour of the rainbow, so only their colours get refracted? 

Heres the renders i did up (before work caught up with me)

I just noticed, i think the gem model im using has wider/different facets. One sec Brb

Attachments:

RSS

Members

© 2017   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service